Terms and conditions for shuttle transfer service by Cairns Port Douglas Shuttle.
We've transported 40000+ passengers since we started over four years ago and everything goes pretty smoothly, but like all businesses we need to have our T&Cs. Shuttle services delivered by Cairns Port Douglas Shuttle aim to collect and deliver transiting passengers on time and according to the booking confirmation. All staff and drivers are working towards that goal.
Tip to search this page: Use Ctrl F function on a desktop to find a keyword on this page, or generally on any internet page, word document, PDF et cetera.
Quick summary T&Cs first:
- All Australian Consumer Law (Queensland) rights and guarantees apply.
- We recommend all passengers have travel insurance to cover any costs resulting in any unexpected delays in transit, or for any other loss associated with their travel.
- Usual wait is 20 minutes after all checked bags are collected from your flight's baggage carousel. The 20 minutes window applies to the scheduled arrival time of your plane. The scheduled arrival time of flights is what we use to allocate available seats on shuttles. 20 minutes applies to all carry on and all checked bag passengers. If your flight is delayed to an extent that it delays other passengers who have already arrived, you will be allocated to the next available shuttle. (This includes private transfers from split flight arrivals. If one flight is significantly delayed the booked private shuttle will leave with existing passengers, and we will allocate late arrivals next available seats in a shared bus). This is standard airport practice, and a practical solution to delayed flights. We appreciate your understanding how this works for late arrivals, and those waiting to go. Our shuttles run regularly. As a natural flowing consequence of delayed arrivals the target 20 minutes window for your allocated shuttle based on your scheduled flight arrival time is unable to apply. Note the 20 minutes target is our usual practice, and our clear goal, but not a binding term of carriage.
- Please note: The departure window for all seat in shared bus departures from Port Douglas is usually 3.0 hours before your flight departure. To assist the comfort and reliability of our service for all travelling passengers on a shared shuttle we are unable to alter the departure window for individual requests.
- Payments are processed one of two ways. Either by the CairnsAirportShuttle.net affiliate you are allocated to when using our book and pay forms, OR by CairnsAirportShuttle.net when using our quote first and then pay system. Either way you receive a CairnsAirportShuttle.net approved booking reference and at all times can contact us direct with any enquiry about your booking to organise a refund (subject to cancel fees) or to change travel dates.
Longer T&Cs below:
A. Being contactable on your phone is an important part of travel. Passengers can help the efficient flow and minimisation of delays by being contactable.
- All important transfer details are on the booking confirmation sent to you once you've paid, including phone number of your shuttle and your CAS reference number. Please keep this available to you for any enquiry.
- Please ensure your mobile phone is on as soon as you are allowed in Cairns or within the terminal and proceed direct to the baggage claim or arrivals hall areas. Please try and make contact with our driver and let them know you have arrived and are getting your bags. If the driver is not visible, collect your bags and wait at the nominated baggage claim carousel as that is where our driver will arrive OR contact the phone number on your bookings confirmation after you have your bags.
- MOST ASKED 2: PICK UP TIME AT AIRPORT on FAQs page forms part our service terms.
- Please note: The departure window for all seat in shared bus departures from Port Douglas is usually 3.0 hours before your flight departure. To assist the comfort and reliability of our service for all travelling passengers on a shared shuttle we are unable to alter the departure window for individual requests. Before departure from Port Douglas please ensure you have made contact with your nominated shuttle company approx. 24 hours before you leave to confirm your pick up time. This number is placed on all the Cairns Airport Shuttle (CAS) confirmation documents sent to you when booking confirmed.
- There is no need to reconfirm your arrival into Cairns once your shuttle has been booked. All booked arrivals are automatically scheduled for pick up once your CAS confirmation docs have been emailed to you.
B. Quotes, payments of quotes after quote expiry, partial payment, uniform pricing, late arrivals in after hours time
- Quotes are usually issued valid for acceptance by payment within 24 hours, or valid until an exact specified time in the quote.
- Payments are processed either by the CairnsAirportShuttle.net affiliate you are allocated to when using our book and pay forms, OR by CairnsAirportShuttle.net when using our quote then pay system. Either way you receive a CairnsAirportShuttle.net approved booking reference and at all times can contact CairnsAirportShuttle.net direct with any enquiry about your booking, to organise a refund (subject to cancel fees), or to change travel dates. You will also be provided direct contact details of your shuttle for every booking, and please feel free to contact your shuttle direct.
- If a quote is paid after the quote validity has expired we reserve the right to refund in full and not deliver service. We are not responsible for any loss or delay to passengers who have paid for a quote after the validity window has expired.
- Partial payments are not sufficient to secure service.
- If an arrival transfer service is delivered against a partial payment, or pending online payment, and full payment is not received 3 business days before any departure transfer request on a return booking, Cairns Port Douglas Shuttle will cancel the return booking, and convert the arrival transfer to a one way transfer (valued at one way transfer costs) and apply cancellation fees (as below) against any funds received. If Cairns Port Douglas Shuttle is then holding surplus funds, we will refund these to you via the same method of payment. If there is a shortfall from any funds received against any services provided, these will be invoiced to the passenger contact details for payment within 7 days from invoice date.
- Cairns Port Douglas Shuttle reserves the right to make the final decision on any booking or service delivery against partial payments, or payments outside of the quote window.
- Cairns Port Douglas Shuttle applies uniform pricing to allow maximum flexibility for the movement of bookings between our affiliated services. This is why our prices may be slightly more, or in some cases slightly less, than going direct to affiliates. We aim to book on the best value service for certain transfers, then swap to another service offering better rates and service for other transfers. Uniform pricing for all bookings allows Cairns Port Douglas Shuttle the ability to quickly rebook your transfer with another affiliate service, if any issue of unavailability of service arises with an initial booking.
- Unplanned after hours arrivals or significantly delayed arrivals: Bookings for standard hours transfers that arrive in after hours periods may be subject to after hours rates. For example, a shuttle booking paid for to meet a flight arriving in the afternoon at 3pm cannot be automatically transferred to an after hours shuttle for arrivals after 8pm. Provided passengers have provided us with notice of the late arrival we will transfer the value of your earlier booking towards your after hours arrival, and at our earliest ability advise the difference in fare. After hours bookings are flat rate $160 for 1-5 pax, and $199 for 6-13 pax. If we cannot meet you for your standard hours arrival that ends up as after hours arrival, and you elect not to pay after hours rates, then we will refund the standard hours value to your credit card.
C. Payment in full to secure booking.
- Payment needs to be made in full to secure your booking. Confirmation documents will rarely be issued (at our discretion) if payment has not been received. Bookings where passengers pay by cash to driver can be arranged but need to be organised in advance directly with our office.
- Advice that payment has been made by online banking is not sufficient for us to book your shuttle and issue documents UNLESS we are sent a copy of the online payment receipt. This is particularly important during weekends and for bookings made less than 24 hours where online payment will not reach us before your transfer.
D. Online booking under 24 hours before travel not always possible.
If using our shuttle book and pay form to book for your shuttle service less than 24 hours before travel your booking may not be processed. We will turn your booking around ASAP within standard business hours of 9am to 5pm. You will always be advised if your booking is either successful or unsuccessful. Your credit card will not be charged if your booking is not processed.
E. Liability limited to refund of transfer cost or redelivery of service.
We've had very few issues over the past three years but all passengers should note the maximum liability and remedy for any dispute regarding our shuttle transfer service is the cost of the transfer provided. No liability is accepted by Cairns Port Douglas Shuttle for any greater amount or any other loss or consequential loss such as the cost of airfares, accommodation costs, labour costs, missed wages or any other loss whatsoever resulting from any delays (for example but not limited to delays caused by other passengers, accidents, landslips or inundations which close the Captain Cook Highway, or any unforeseen circumstance which prevents the shuttle from gaining access to the airport or gaining access before a flight check in has closed) or any accidents which affect the delivery of the shuttle service. Additionally no other liability beyond refund or redelivery of service is accepted by Cairns Port Douglas Shuttle for any loss, or any claim made, whatsoever against any affiliate shuttle service providing contracted services to Cairns Port Douglas Shuttle.
F. Cancellation fees. Timely communication can help you get a refund, and help the shuttle company manage its bookings and staffing.
- To secure any refund less cancellation fee, cancel requests must be made at least 24 hours prior to travel time in writing by email or phone.
- Cancellations of any confirmed and paid bookings more than 24 hours before travel attract $12 fee per adult and $6 fee per child to cover booking establishment fees that we pay the shuttle we have booked for you. Note that confirming a booking often means extra capacity needs to be arranged - so withdrawing a booking has cost implications for all service providers.
- Cancellation of private transfer more than 24 hours before travel is $30 for one way private transfer, and $50 for return. Cancellation of any private transfer less than 24 hours before travel is $100 fee to cover the cost of the dedicated vehicle allocated to your group.
- We make refunds by the same method as payment.
- For cancellations less than 24 hours before transit there will be no refund payable and any security held for booking used. For discounted return bookings, cancellation of your outward or return leg only will mean your booking is taken to be a one way price and the cancellation fee remains under the same conditions as above. Why no refund under 24 hours? When passengers have prebooked a shuttle the shuttle company contracts or rosters a driver and allocates a shuttle bus to your journey. Cancellations less than 24 hours mean a financial loss for the business. You may be the only passengers on the shuttle. You may also be the passengers that make your booked shuttle viable for the company and without your custom the shuttle becomes a loss making journey. This cost can not be accepted by the shuttle, for example, when a passenger elects to cancel at the very last minute by deciding to hire a car or for some other reason. As per cancellation item 2 above we do allow cancellation over 24 hours for a minimal fee per passenger to allow for your flexibility or change of mind while on holiday, but passengers are urged to consider the logistics of companies arranging to shuttles for passengers at exact times and understand that the discounted rates we offer (vs taxi or walk up shuttle transfers) are only possible by the allocation and management of prebooked services being delivered. Thank you for your understanding.
- Passengers at the airport who do not make themselves known to the driver by the time their flight has cleared or who are not at a designated point of meeting at the time arranged, and are not contactable on their nominated mobile will be regarded as a NO SHOW and no refund will be made if the bus has already departed. For passengers who are non contactable and later make contact we will endeavour (but are under no obligation) to get you a later bus if possible, but this will likely involve extra costs.
G. Delays or frustrations to delivery of service can happen. Events beyond everyone's control may cause a delay, but the goal is to minimise any delay for passengers.
The most likely potential scenario we've encountered over the past few years is that the Captain Cook Highway sometimes gets closed (sometimes for several hours) if there is a traffic accident on the road. This can impact departures from Port Douglas to Cairns, and does happen from time to time. This is one of the reasons we always work to a target of leaving Port Douglas 3.0 hours before scheduled flight departure, and earlier for international flights or flights with earlier check in like Tiger Airways. To assist the comfort and reliability of our service for all travelling passengers on a shared shuttle we are unable to alter the departure window for individual requests.We also recommend passengers have the potential to leave earlier if needed. For example if there is a road closure, shuttles can access Cairns via the inland highway via Mareeba which takes an extra hour (2 hours travel instead of 1 hour travel).
A most important thing any transiting passenger can do to help alleviate delay issues that may arise - is to be actively contactable on their mobile number indicated on the booking form when booking was made. On arrival please have your mobile phone switched on as soon as allowed at Cairns Airport, and on departure for several hours before collection in Port Douglas. By being actively contactable - including checking for missed calls or text messages - your assistance will help any shuttle company minimise delays and manage unforeseen circumstances. Shuttle companies' top priority is to collect you and get you to your destination safely and on time. By being contactable - passengers are able to help the process.
- Summary point is that as with any airport shuttle connection there are potentially multiple events that could cause delays such as late or early flight arrivals. With regards flights delays please know that shuttle services associated with CairnsAirportShuttle.net actively try to minimise these via monitoring flights before you arrive in Cairns and before your departure from Port Douglas. This includes shuttle drivers being able to monitor flights from the drivers waiting shed at Cairns airport where flights are indicated in real time as landed, on the block and then arrived - which means passengers are disembarking. Drivers and shuttle companies can check Cairns Airport Flight arrivals on mobile phones and iPads and have office - driver communication about flight arrivals and changes in traffic conditions.
- Shuttle services may be affected by any pick up or drop off changes implemented by Cairns Airport, and these are beyond our control.
- If, through circumstances not foreseeable or beyond our control, shuttles are delayed or unable to transfer you we cannot be responsible for any financial or material losses which may be incurred by passengers. This is an important reason why we recommend travel insurance for any passengers who may be affected by unforeseeable circumstances or events beyond our control which affect delivery of our service. Examples (but not limited to) of events beyond our control: accidents where the shuttle company vehicle has been directly or indirectly involved; delays caused by road closures, accidents, landslips or inundations on the Captain Cook Highway between Port Douglas and Cairns, or in and around Cairns affecting access to the airport; severe weather events or tropical cyclone; delays in traffic conditions preventing the shuttle company from getting to the airport or getting to the airport on time; and any other events of the nature described here.
- If through circumstances beyond the control of Shuttle services unable to transfer you we will seek to arrange alternative transport for you at no additional cost.
- For delays caused by circumstances within the control of the shuttle the maximum liability and remedy for any dispute regarding this transfer service is the cost of the transfer provided.
- It is standard practice for all shuttle companies to monitor incoming flights as planes can arrive early or late. The standard policy is not to have passengers arriving on flights scheduled to arrive more than 20 minutes apart, on the same bus. Planes that arrive a few minutes late may mean a slightly longer wait for those passengers who have arrived on an earlier flight. We ask those passengers for patience on these occasions - as it could be your flight that is running a late or arriving early and nobody wants to be left stranded. If a severe plane delay is occurring, passengers on that flight will be transferred to the next available bus or we will make alternative arrangements for their transfer to minimise the waiting time at the airport. There may be an additional cost incurred.
H. Safety. Please obey Australian traffic regulations and driver safety advice.
- 100% of passengers - including all children - must wear a seat belt in the shuttle van. Failure of any passenger to wear a seat belt will mean the shuttle will not move.
- All shuttle vehicles associated with this booking service are equipped with safety belts. Child seats are available and can be installed if booked at the time of your booking. Vehicles must comply with Queensland Transport authority's rules and are regularly checked by that authority for compliance.
- All shuttle bus drivers are experienced drivers who must have Queensland Transport issued Drivers Authority (DA) to transfer fare paying passengers. This DA issued by Queensland Transport ensures a driver has passed a medical exam, eye examination and criminal records check. Drivers must also hold an upgraded Queensland drivers license for either LR (Light Rigid) or MR (Medium Rigid) vehicle - depending on the vehicle they are driving.
I. Pick up and drop off points / pick up delays- sometimes the bus cannot access a street with no turning or a gate with no key code.
- Due to the design and access issues of some streets we may not be able to enter some areas of Murphy Street, some gated real estate and some caravan parks where there is no turning option for our bus and trailer. These drop off and pickup are then available only at the street corner, front gate or nearest practical access point.
- Shuttle buses are prevented from entering unsealed roads due to insurance and damage liability issues.
- Our shuttles drop your party at one location only. If you need to collect keys from an agency, we suggest best to drop your party at the accommodation and send one person via local shuttle or walk if close by. Alternatively, we can drop your party at agency to collect keys and make your way to accommodation. Due to the shared nature of a shuttle and timetables, we are unable to keep passengers waiting while other passengers collect keys.
- FAQ #12 applies for all services to and from Cairns Esplanade/ CBD. Summary is all Cairns Esplanade/ CBD pick ups and drop offs may go via airport. Our primary advertised service is Cairns Airport to Port Douglas to Cairns Airport direct no stops. This direct service does not include Cairns Esplanade/CBD. However, while we do not guarantee direct Cairns Esplanade/ CBD to Port Douglas and vice versa, there are many occasions where (with no airport pick ups or drop offs are scheduled on your run) you will go direct.
- Usual wait is 20 minutes or less after all checked bags are collected from your flight's baggage carousel. This means all bags from all passengers on your flight. However as with clause I(4) above, our estimate based on over 3 years experience is that 90-95% of transfers are on the way within our advertised time frame. See a number of reviews which mention our timeliness.
J. Free local shuttle pass valid only on specified shuttles, and only for the first two calendar days of your stay in Port Douglas.
When offered the free local shuttle pass special is valid only on day of arrival, and the next day until midnight. For clarity this is the first two days of your stay in Port Douglas. For example, if arriving at midday Monday the pass is valid for the balance of Monday, and all day Tuesday until midnight. The pass is only valid for the company indicated on your booking confirmation, and only valid for the number of people indicated on your booking confirmation. Your booking confirmation is your free shuttle pass and must be shown to the driver to access the free local shuttle pass special.
Thank you for reading. Your help and understanding helps our Cairns Airport to Port Douglas shuttle transfer service, and affiliated drivers, transport you to your holiday in far north Queensland.
When we offer a quote or provide a transfer service these terms and conditions (T&Cs) are applicable to any and all bookings made or subsequently made. A link to these T&Cs is linked from emailed confirmation docs, and our shuttle book and pay form. It is the responsibility of any travelling passenger to be aware of these terms and conditions related to our service.
These terms and conditions form the entire agreement between Cairns Port Douglas Shuttle and any travelling passenger. No additional terms, conditions or warranties may be implied into this agreement unless required by statute in the State of Queensland, or as required under Australian Consumer Law (Queensland) rights and guarantees which apply here.
Updated February 2018.